Bacterial Food Posioning
Examples of these are Chill peppers notation chaparrals, garlic and onions contain sulfur. Uncooked red kidney beans, some toadstools, daffodil bulbs, puffer fish and green potatoes are all poisonous to humans.
(a)When considering chemical poisoning it is important to take into account poisonings caused by ingestion of metallic elements. Metallic poisoning usually involve the heavy metals those with a pH greater than 5. Heavy metal poisoning can be acute or chronic it can be caused by lead, mercury, iron, thallium, Bismuth, cadmium, copper, tin, zinc.Heavy metal contamination can occur when plants are rowan or animals grazed on land which Is already contaminated are eaten by humans. It also occurs when food is stored in faulty or damaged containers made of tin, lead copper and zinc. Contamination may occur from leaching utensils, contaminated water and solder residues in cans. When they are consumed they are then stored in the soft tissues of the body.
Only $13.90 / page
The heavy metals once absorbed compete with other ions and bind to proteins causing impaired enzymatic activity resulting in damage to many organs throughout the body.The most common heavy metal poisoning Is lead. This has been falling In the western world with the removal of lead pipes, and lead from pipes, paint and food cans. It is important to only use food approved packaging and containers as chemicals such as benzene can leak out of the packaging and contaminate the food. You also must not store an acid fruits or Juices in container made from any of the elements mentioned above. In cases of acute poisoning the symptoms Include; metallic taste In mouth, severe abdominal pain and vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, muscle cramps and weakness.In children there would be headaches, drowsiness, confusion, seizures and coma.
In chronic heavy metal poisoning the symptoms include anorexia, abdominal pain and constipation, headaches, irritability, malaise, insomnia, depression and wrist drop. In children it may cause mental retardation or encephalopathy. Acute poisoning occurs when a person is exposed directly to toxic levels; symptoms will occur within 2 weeks of exposure and quickly become severe. Chronic poisoning occurs when people are exposed to nontoxic levels over a period of time sometimes years.Like the exposure signs and symptoms can occur over many years. Other common sources chemical DOD poisonings are those relating to pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, aerodonetics, detergents, sanitize and their containers. When these chemicals get into food they cause food poisoning.
Chemical food poisoning can occur at any time in the food chain through leakage, spillage or accidents. It can happen when farmers use too much pesticide on their crops which are then eaten after being previously been used to transport poisonous chemicals.It may happen during processing examples include incorrect storage or inappropriate use of cleaning chemicals. The excessive use of nitrites or nitrates or the use of unsafe additives such as Sudan 1 . Fumes from diesel and petrol forklift trucks may contaminate food. In the food industry we do not use perfumed products or those containing phenols :e. G.
Pine disinfectant) as they can taint food. The C. O. S. H. H (control of substances hazardous to health )2002 regulations go into detail on the storage of chemicals and “hat information you need to have on site.Symptoms of chemical poisoning include burning sensations in the neck; chest vomiting may occur within minutes in acute cases, diarrhea, sweating, dizziness, excessive salvation mental confusion and stomach pain.
In acute cases symptoms appear in minutes or hours. In chronic cases chemicals are ingested over a period of time, these are toxic to humans when they build up in humans and may cause cancer and other chronic illnesses. There have been several instances of chemical poisoning in the I-J the most well-known is the Sudan 1 dye.It was a dye used in making leather it was added to some chill powder which was used to make Worcester sauce which then was used to make over 500 products. In 2008 at a cost of 128 million Euros beef and pork products were recalled because they contained 200 times the safe levels of dioxins. The high dioxin account occurred because the animals had eaten feed contaminated by engine oil. Poisoning may occur when a person ingests or eats a plant or fungi which are poisonous to humans.
Examples of these are hemlock, deadly nightshade, kidney beans rhubarb leaves, daffodil bulbs, death cap mushrooms and toadstools.Green sprouting potatoes (which contain isolation) are also poisonous. The symptoms and onset of effects vary depending on the plant and its poison. When a potato with high isolation content is ingested symptoms can occur in as little as 30 minutes. They usual occur 8- 12 hours after ingestion. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, ‘omitting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, irregular heartbeat, headache and dizziness. In more severe cases there may be hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, Jaundice, dilated pupils, hypothermia and death have been reported.
Isolation is also present in tomato stems and egg plants. You would have to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves to kill you, but only a small amount will show effects. These effects include vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, burning in the throat and mouth, coma, eye pain, kidney stones, red urine, seizures and weakness. Rhubarb singsong is not common today and was at its peak during the First World War when the government recommended it as an alternative food source. Kidney beans and Cannelloni contain a election called Photoengraving’s which is poisonous to humans.If you eat as little as 5 uncooked beans you may become ill. Symptoms usually occur within 3 hours starting with nausea and vomiting followed by diarrhea.
People usually recover within 4 or 5 hours without medical attention. If you eat a poisonous mushroom the effects can be mild to deadly depending on what type it is. Often there is nausea vomiting and diarrhea. Some produce a nerve toxin which asses sweating, shaking hallucinations and coma. If you eat a death cap mushroom the symptoms take a few hours to take effect and it can result in the need for kidney borne illnesses. In Japan this figure is thought to be 70%.The causes can be viral, bacterial or bio toxins.
Citrate poisoning comes from algae called Chambermaids toxic. The algae are eaten by vegetarian fish that are then eaten by other fish causing them to bio accumulate in fish. It is also eaten by bivalves and mollusks by filter feeding and crustaceans through scavenger feeding. Citrate poisoning can cause moderate to severe illness. It causes numbness of the area around the mouth and nose and it can spread to the arms and legs, nausea, vomiting, sore teeth, muscle pain and weakness, headache dizziness and an irregular heartbeat.One of the strange symptoms of a Citrate poisoning is a sensory one in which the person thinks that hot is cold and vice versa. The onset is of symptoms is usually one to six hours.
The neurological effects usually happen; between 24 and 48 hour after Ingestion. Symptoms may disappear in days or weeks. In some cases they persist for months or years. Sickrooms poisoning is associated with mackerel, tuna, blue fish, aha-amah, bonito sardines, anchovies and Swiss cheese. It usually occurs when the fish have been inadequately store or preserved after being caught.The onset is between 10 minutes and 3 hours following ingestion they usually last for up to 10 hours. They include head ache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain a rash on the face and neck, sweating, diarrhea, abdominal cramps and a burning or peppery sensation in the mouth.
In severe case it may cause blurred vision, swelling of the tongue and respiratory stress. It is caused when the fish convert Histamine to Histamine which causes a reaction in humans. Normally cooking temperatures are not enough to destroy the Histamine.