1) What are hormones?
Chemicals that are released to influence bodily functions.
We will write a custom essay sample
on Endocrine System and Human Growth Hormone or any similar
topic specifically for you
2) How are hormones transported?
3) Why is the pituitary gland called the “Master” gland? Controls other glands and produces many hormones.
4) What are the two segments of the pituitary?
Posterior and anterior pituitary.
5) Where is the thyroid gland located?
Anterior to neck, inferior to larynx.
6) What are the symptoms of myxedema?
Facial bloating, weakness, lethargy, and altered mentality.
7) Why is a rabbit shown on the slide of hyperthyroidism?
Rabbit is shown because hyperthyroidism is related to fast and quick behavior. I.e. Insomnia, tachycardia, hypertension, weight loss, etc.
8) How many parathyroid glands do we have?
9) What does the pancreas have to do with the Endocrine system? Pancreas secretes hormones and is key in the system.
10) What are the 3 types of cells in the pancreas?
Alpha, Beta, Delta.
11) Where are the adrenal glands located?
Superior to kidneys.
12) What are the 3 types of hormones secreted by the adrenal cortex? Gluticocorticoids, Androgenic Hormones, and Mineralocorticoids.
13) What is Cushing’s disease?
Prolonged increase in adrenal cortex hormone making one’s sugar levels increase.
14) What hormones are secreted by the ovaries and testes?
Testosterone and Estrogen.
15) What are the complications of Diabetes?
Contributes to heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and blindness.
16) How is glucose converted to energy?
Broken down by enzymes and absorbed in GI track.
17) What is the overall function of the endocrine system?
18) What are the male and female sex hormones?
Testosterone and estrogen.
19) What hormones are secreted by the pituitary gland?
Anti diuretic hormones, Thyroid stimulating hormone, human growth hormone, Adrenocorticotropin, follicle-stimulating hormone.
20) What effect does carbohydrate intake have on insulin levels? Elevation
21) What is the function of thyroxine?
22) What are some common endocrine disorders? What are their signs and symptoms?
Hyperthyroidism: Symptoms include tachycardia and fatigue.
Diabetes- Low insulin levels due to Beta cells in pancreas. Symptom is inability to decrease blood sugar levels. Cushing’s disease- Prolonged adrenalcortex hormone levels. Symptoms include abnormal weight distribution and rapid mood swings. Myxedema- Signs include inadequate levels of thyroid hormones. Symptoms include facial bloating, lethargy, and weakness.
Page 2 Endocrine System and Human Growth Hormone Essay
23) Using the video and power point– describe the glands and the hormones they produce. Pituitary gland- ADH, TSH, HGH, ACTH, FSH.
ThyroidGland- Thyroxine, triiodothyronine and calcitonin.
Parathyroid gland- Parathyroid Hormone
Adrenal Gland- Norepinephrine, Epinephrine, Glutocorticoids, Mineralocorticoids, Androgenic Hormones Pancreas- Insulin, Glucagon, and Somatosin.
Ovaries- Progesterone, and estrogen.
24) Which gland is the “vanishing gland?”
25) Name one thing you find interesting about the Endocrine System. Endocrine system is small but vital.