Feotechnical Engineering Essay Sample
1. Calculate the perpendicular emphasis in a dirt mass at a deepness of 5m vertically below a point burden of 5000 KN moving near the surface. Plot the fluctuation of perpendicular emphasis with radial distance ( up to 10 m ) at a deepness of 5 m.
2. Three point loads 10000 KN. 7500 KN and 9000 KN. act in line 5 m apart near the surface of dirt mass. Calculate the perpendicular emphasis at a deepness of 4 m vertically below the Centre ( 7500 KN ) burden.
3. Determine the perpendicular emphasis at a deepness of 3 m below the Centre of a shallow foundation 2m ten 2m transporting a unvarying force per unit area of 250 KN/m2. Plot the fluctuation of perpendicular emphasis with deepness ( up to 10 m ) below the Centre of the foundation.
4. A shallow foundation 25 m x 18 m carries a unvarying force per unit area of 175 KN/m2. Determine the perpendicular emphasis at a point 12 m below the mid-point of one of the longer sides ( a ) utilizing influence factors. ( B ) by agencies of Newmark’s chart.
5. The backfill behind a retaining wall above the H2O table consists of a sand of unit weight 17 KN/m3. holding shear strength parametric quantities c / = 0. ? / = 370. The tallness of the wall is 6 m and the surface of the wall backfill is horizontal. Determine the entire active push on the wall harmonizing to the Rankine theory. If the wall is prevented from giving. what is the approximative value of the trust on the wall?
6. Plot the distribution of active force per unit area on the wall surface shown in Figure 1. Calculate the entire trust on the wall ( active + hydrostatic ) and find its point of application. 7. The forepart of a retaining wall inclines outwards at an angle of 100 to the perpendicular. The deepness of dirt in forepart of the wall is 2 m. the dirt surface being horizontal and the H2O tabular array is good below the base of the wall. The undermentioned parametric quantities are known for the dirt: degree Celsius / = 0. ? / = 340. ? = 150. ? = 18KN / M3. Determine the entire inactive opposition available in forepart of the wall ( a ) harmonizing to Coulomb’s theory. ( B ) utilizing Sokolovski’s coefficients. 8. Detailss of a cantilever retaining wall are given in Figure 2. Calculate the upper limit and minimal force per unit areas under the base if the H2O tabular array rises behind the wall to a degree 3. 90 m from the top of the wall. The shear strength of parametric quantities for the dirt are hundred / = 0. ? / = 380. The concentrated unit weight of dirt is 20 KN/m3 and above the H2O postpone the unit weight is 17 KN/m3: the unit weight of concrete is 23. 50 KN/m3. If ? = 250 on the base of the wall. what is the factor of safety against skiding?
9. The sides on an digging 3m deep in sand are to be supported by a cantilever sheet pile wall. The H2O tabular array is 1. 50 m below the underside of the digging. The sand has a saturated unit weight of 20 KN/m3. a unit weight of 17 KN/m3 above the H2O tabular array and ? / = 360. Determine the deepness of incursion of the stacking below the underside of the digging to give a factor of safety of 2. 0 with regard to inactive opposition.
10. The subdivision through a gravitation retaining wall is shown in Figure 3. The unit weight of wall stuff is 23. 50 KN/m3. The unit weight of backfill is 19 KN/m3 and appropriate shear strength of parametric quantities for the dirt are hundred / = 0. ? / = 360: the value of ? between the wall and the backfill and between the wall and the foundation dirt is 250. Calculate the lower limit and maximal base force per unit areas and the factor of safety against skiding. What would be the factor of safety against skiding if it were assumed that inactive opposition is mobilized over a deepness of 1. 5 m in forepart of wall?
11. An anchored sheet pile wall is constructed by driving a line of stacking into a dirt of concentrated unit weight of 21 KN/m3 and holding shear strength parametric quantities c / = 10 KN / M2. ? / = 270. Backfilling to a deepness of 8 m is placed behind the pile. the backfill holding a concentrated unit weight of 20 KN/m3. a unit weight above the H2O tabular array of 17 KN/m3 and shear strength parametric quantities c / = 0. ? / = 350. Tie rods are spaced at 2. 5 m centres. 1. 5 m below the surface of backfill. The H2O degree in the forepart of wall and H2O tabular array behind the wall are both 5 m below the surface of the backfill. Using the free Earth support method. find the deepness of incursion required for a factor of safety of 2. 0 with regard to passive opposition and the force in each tie rod.
12. The prances in a braced digging 9 m deep in a dense sand are placed at 1. 5 thousand Centres vertically and 3 m Centres horizontally: the underside of the digging is above the H2O tabular array. The unit weight of sand is 19 KN/m3 and shear strength parametric quantities c / = 0. ? / = 400. What burden should each prance be designed to transport?