How to Write a Proposal Essay
Creating a proposal essay is a process that obviously needs some specific preparation. The main difference between proposal essay and the other more academic kinds of essays lies in more tangible and concrete practical aspect. Proposal essays are often used in business courses that are the less academic ones. Even if your task to write a proposal essay is not connected with any business issues, creating it in an appropriate way develops your writing skills form the new side. Before you will have a possibility to demonstrate these writing skills you need to get an acquaintance with this new kind of essay. Let`s get it started!
What is a Proposal Essay?
Proposal essay asks the writer to (all of a sudden) propose an idea. But what does it mean? Proposal essay takes an idea, which somehow reveals some certain question from a certain side. This site may be both positive and negative. The task is in proving the rightness of this idea.
Proving something does not mean creating an unarguable truth: the proof is faith. The writer of the proposal essay needs to make the reader believe that the idea represented in the text is the truth. This fact implies that proposal essay is liberally subjective kind of text. But you cannot just rely on this subjectivity – you still need to create the subjective text that looks like an objective opinion.
In your proposal essay, you need to refer to someone else`s opinion that can support your thought. This sounds like a tip (tips and advice are considered in the next chapters), but it is impossible to omit this moment explaining the essence of the proposal essay.
What do we have then? Representing an idea that a priori can be controversial in fact is the representation of the thought of a single ego. But the task is to make readers believe in this thought, so the writer needs to refer to the other authors. Oh, and of course convey plenty of hard work, processing huge amounts of existing information and, what is more important, to come up with some unique concept, which provides brand new sight on the question.
Proposal Essay Structure
But doing this work is impossible without knowledge of its specifics. It is the best thing to explain these specifics regarding the structure of the text. Proposal essay still is an essay so sticks to the widely used three-part structure of introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion. However, visually it does not look like this. So let`s look at how to format the proposal essay and let it remain the proposal one.
Before writing you need to do some operations. Yes, you have not even started typing the text and already need to do something.
- Learn your question through the length and breadth. Before you start you need to be sure that you know everything concerning the topic. This knowledge would give an appreciable advantage. Moreover, thorough knowledge is vital to the question of convincing readers.
- After you know everything concerning your question you think on stylistic aspects of the text. For this purpose, you need to define for who you are writing this essay. Unfortunately, you cannot avoid contacts with your audience – the task is too specific to allow you this pleasure. So your text should be built basing on the estimated circle of readers. It includes special language (terms, words, expressions that cannot be used for the wide audience without explanation), the choice of the key information and expectations of these readers.
- After you are ready with two previous steps you can draw an outline. It is an unnecessary step that demands extra energy consumption but that would only benefit your paper. Drawing an outline in substance are writing half of the text. You concentrate on the key moments and do not digress to something less important.
Main Parts of a Proposal Essay
It is not very professional to divide the essay into main and secondary parts but still. Introduction and body paragraphs generally more important than conclusion and in the proposal essay, this importance compared with the last part increases.
- Introduction. The most significant part of each essay. Here you need to acquaint your reader with the information that is vital for comprehending the text. In other words text of the essay supervenes from the information given in the introduction. Everything you use in body paragraphs and conclusion should correlate with the things in the very first part of the essay.
Besides introducing readers to the topic, this part should show them why they are ready to spend their time on reading rather than waste it. Here you also can include your personal information that would serve for convincing readers in your rightwards.
And traditionally your text would be appreciated better or at least would be read if you attract readers` attention in the introduction part. There are lots of useful hooks such as statistics, authoritative quotes, interesting facts or even jokes to make the reader want to continue reading your paper.
Remember this little thing named thesis statement? In proposal essay, your proposal is this statement. Whole first part is dedicated to familiarization readers with important information about the future text without going deeply into details. And at the end of the introduction, you are expected to state your proposal. It`s simple. (We`ll kill the Batman).
- Body paragraphs. The rules of the essay writing state that this part implies usage of one paragraph per an argument. Here you face a little different situation: your body paragraphs look like an extended plan of substantiation. And of course, the arguments that support your proposal are still present.
The argumentation here is only a supplement to your convincing. Throughout the text, you need to assure readers that these arguments are valuable and this way your proposal makes sense. The other essays work conversely: arguments are the only proof of the opulence of the thought.
Each argument you provide should answer the questions of the effectiveness of the text. So after you made a proposal in introduction part, you start discussing it. You provide arguments. And then you pose a question like “how does it affect the question?” and answer it. And this thing you do with each argument. The work is still in showing the details, but the form of the submission is changed.
You cannot pay less attention to the conclusion only because it is more simple part to do. Especially considering the fact that in proposal essay conclusion should be written a little differently. You should avoid restating your proposal statement. Here you need to go straight to drawing the conclusion of what you came up with discovering the issue.
In other words, you should not recur but continue the argumentation ending the text. And please, if you consider yourself a skillful writer try not to use common words and phrases just to extend the paper or to ‘help readers better comprehend your information’. Your readers are smart enough to understand what you are talking about without your “in conclusion…”.
Proposal Essay Examples
Examples are good for comprehending the question but once you read an example concerning new topic you are looped on this and cannot distract from the image of this example. The most important thing is to know key aspects of the question. Talking about writing essays in general and proposal essay, in particular, these key aspects are the knowledge of what are you asked to do and of how can you do it.
After you know the specifics of the proposal essay and its structure you can start creating it. Moreover, this article provides you a step-by-step guide to composing the proposal essay. Make your paper with purity in thoughts and become a great writer!