IT Governance Essay
Research Proposal No.1 (Quantitative analysis)
Alignment of Information Technology (IT) Governance with Business Needs in the EnterprisePrincipal Aim of study: To identify and understand how and why IT needs to be carefully placed to be compatible with business needs in the organization. “Some organizations started with the implementation of IT governance in order to achieve a better alignment between business and IT.” (Haes & Gremberg 2008). Objectives:
- To identity specific needs for IT application within the framework business in the enterprise
- To establish a deployment that is most beneficial to the organization in economic terms
- To seek the implementation of most appropriate and cost effective IT solutions for contemporary organizational structures
- To emphasize on the need for clear and consistent standard followed in implementing IT solutions in corporate environments.
- To offer quantitative solutions aligned with IT; that will effectively address issues arising in the organization.
Hypothesis: There is a significant role of IT governance in positively affecting the ability of businesses to cater to industry demand and achieve considerable cost benefits over time.
Only $13.90 / page
Research Questions:1. What level of system throughput is essential and critical for the success of managerial and effective decision making using timely data and processing capabilities? IT Governance 32. How could “a purpose-built, standards-based data appliance that architecturally integrates the database, server and storage into a single, easy-to-manage system.” be operated? (Netezza twinfin data warehouse and analytic appliance: Resetting the bar on price/performance, 2009, p.1).
3. There is nothing called perfect data. However, what makes the extraction of information from data so tedious a process?Significant role of IT governance in positively affects businesses to cater to industry demand and achieve considerable cost benefits over time. There is nothing called perfect data. However, what makes the extraction of information from data so tedious a process? What system throughput is essential and critical for the success of managerial and effective decision making using timely data and processing capabilities? Literature Review How could “a purposebuilt, standards-based data appliance integrating database, server and storage into a single, easy-tomanage system.” be operated? Empirical Research Database and Systems Integration Statistical Tools and Profilers Research Objectives Research Parameters Primary Research and First-hand data collection IT Governance4 Literature review:Costs:Initial capital investmentsMaintenance and usage costsImpact on bottom line through amortizationCost benefit evaluation on short, medium and long term basisFinancial analysis including calculation of present value, cash flows and residual assessmentTechnological obsolescence Implications: Positives /Negative impact of present IT deployment:
- From the government’s point of view
- From the point of view of the IT industry
- Specific work-force and union perspective on IT deployment
- Negative aspects of the present IT policies and procedures
Threats and challenges in the IT alignment the corrective measures to overcome these through practice and research studiesEnvironment:
- The present scenario of the IT industry
- The industrial techniques to meeting business needs
- Perceived risks in various implementation schemes
- Positive and negative results of IT governance and deployment in the enterprise
Legal and socio-economic constructs of IT alignment
Research Designs: IT Governance
In a research study of this genre, it is critical to plan appropriate designs that could not only meet the goals and objectives of business but also provide an environment and basis on which the empirical research study could be well conducted. Besides, the research design should be free from known errors, statistical bias and must present a strong forum for the detailed and comprehensive study of the topic under research.
In this IT related studies, it is very important that quantitative data should be gained through both primary and secondary researches.
Research is based on a modern topic that requires utmost care and understanding with valid and well-informed group of respondents. It is also compulsory to consult secondary resources to establish current trends and apparent cost benefits through upgrading or reassessment of latest technologies and the latest high-tech IT operation in the existing corporate and technological demands. At this point when business cannot separate from technological influences, it is indeed important that maximum efforts and attention is given on how business needs could be increased and improved through better IT interfacing and governance. In a quantitative research study of this genre, the use of statistical tests to underpin the validity the conduct of research and hypothesis testing is imperative. The above research design by compartmentalizing between Business and IT strategy seeks to bring forth the major ingredients in the two while also seeking to integrate IT Governance 6 the two aspects of business- the business unit and the IT deployment or alignment in the manner that is most advantageous to the business and its stakeholders.MethodologyThrough research techniques like surveys and personal interviews using right forethought.
Also, use of appropriate statistical tests that could emphasize this quantitative research.” A chi-square test is used when you want to see if there is a relationship between two categorical variables.” (What is statistical analysis should I use? Statistical analysis using SPSS, (n.d.).Primary sources are derived from discussions with IT researchers, practitioners, revenue specialists (in public and private sectors IT governance). Interviews conduced with a selected group of IT specialists and practitioners drawn from various business and industrial sectors.
Secondary and tertiary sourcing is from website libraries, online internet sources, and peer reviewed academic magazine articles.Interpretations / AnalysisBased on the literature reviews and findings of the research studies carried out after gathering quantitative data from primary, secondary and tertiary sources. Conclusions: An appropriate conclusion is that could strengthen the impact of IT in enterprise thereby stressing its present and ultimate risks, challenges, advantages and benefits. Also, observation on the various methods that are necessary in the present context .This method could be IT Governance 7 applied considering the future risks of technical and commercial obsolescence of IT industry. It is important that the requirements of the corporate units are met through the use of IT. Therefore the conclusion validates or nullifies the hypothesis.
Reference ListAdvanced Q&A corner, 2009. [Online] CPU. Available at: http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Farchive %2Fc0906%2F27c06%2F27c06.asp [Accessed 9 March 2010].
Building IT and end user partnership, 2010.[Online] ITtoolkit.com. Available at: http://www.ittoolkit.com/assessments/assess_partnerships.htm [Accessed 9 March 2010].
Business sponsorship and alignment – white papers, 2010. [Online] tdwi. Available at: http://tdwi.org/whitepapers/list/business-sponsorship-and-alignment.aspx [Accessed 9 March 2010].Customer satisfaction survey questions, 2010. [Online] Zoomerang.
Available at: http://www.zoomerang.com/Customer-Satisfaction-Survey-Questions/ [Accessed 9 March 2010].Data governance, 2010. [Online] Bitpipe.com. Available at: http://www.
bitpipe.com/tlist/Data-Governance.html [Accessed 9 March 2010].Haes, D.S., & Gremberg, V.W.
, 2008. Analyzing the relationship Between IT governance and business/IT alignment maturity. [Online] IEEExplore. Available at: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.
ieee.org %2Fiel5%2F4438695%2F4438696%2F04439133.pdf%3Farnumber%3D4439133&a uthDecision=-203 [Accessed 9 March 2010].National survey of information technology occupations, 2004. [Online] Statistics Canada. Available at: http://www.statcan.
gc.ca/cgibin/imdb/p2SV.pl?Function=getSurvey&SDDS=2939&lang=en&db=imdb&adm=8& dis=2 [Accessed 9 March 2010].Netezza twinfin data warehouse and analytic appliance: Resetting the bar on price/performance, 2009. [Online] NETEZZA, p.1. Available at: http://www.
netezza.com/documents/twinfin_ds.pdf [Accessed 9 March 2010].What is statistical analysis should I use? Statistical analysis using SPSS, (n.d.). [Online] Academic Technology Services.
Available at: http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/Spss/whatstat/whatstat.htm [Accessed 9 March 2010].Why is it so hard to get? 2009. [Online] Semantra.
Available at: http://www.semantra.com/library/Semantra-Enterprise-FactSheet.pdf [Accessed 9 March 2010].