Sygate Essay Research Paper SYGATE 311 BUILD
Sygate Essay, Research Paper
SYGATE 3.11 BUILD 556 README
Thank you for seeking SyGate 3.11. This papers contains of import information that you may happen utile for put ining and utilizing SyGate 3.11. For extra instructions on installation and utilizing SyGate 3.11, please see the SyGate 3.11 online users guide & # 8211 ; you can rapidly acquire to it from the aid bill of fare within the SyGate Manager application. ( Note: a cutoff to the online users guide is indicated by a inquiry grade icon from the SyGate Manager application. )
UPGRADING PREVIOUS VERSIONS
INSTALLATION AND USE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
CHANGES SINCE THE SYGATE 3.0 VERSION
KNOWN ISSUES WITH THIS RELEASE
HOW TO REGISTER
– Intel 486, Pentium or tantamount Personal computer.
– Win95 ( Rev B or higher ) , Win98, WinNT 4.0 ( SP3 or higher ) , or Win2000.
– 10 MB or more free disc infinite
– 32 MB or more available memory.
– Microsoft TCP/IP protocol installed.
– Ethernet web interface card.
– Digital subscriber line, DirecPC, Cable Modem, ISDN, or Analog Modem ( for SyGate waiter ) .
– Angstrom working Internet history with an Internet service supplier.
– Cable or DSL modem service or an parallel modem service with Microsoft dial-up networking 1.2 or higher or America Online 4.0 or higher.
Note: Cable and DSL modems require an extra Ethernet arranger on the SyGate waiter computing machine.
UPGRADING PREVIOUS VERSIONS
– If you are upgrading SyGate from SyGate 2.0 or SyGate 3.0 package, you will necessitate to halt the SyGate service utilizing the SyGate Manager plan, exit the SyGate Manager plan wholly, so uninstall SyGate wholly from your system utilizing either the uninstaller provided or Windows Add/Remove plan application.
– If you are utilizing SyGate 3.0 or SyGate 3.1, you do non necessitate to re-enter your enrollment codification after put ining SyGate 3.11. If you are put ining onto a computing machine that antecedently had a registered SyGate version. Your enrollment information should be retained by your computing machine even after uninstalling SyGate. However, if you reformatted your difficult thrust or reinstalled your Windows package, you may necessitate to re-enter the enrollment information. If your old versions enrollment codification and consecutive figure fail to work with SyGate 3.11, you should reach your version s distributer to obtain farther enrollment information.
– If you created your ain scenes for SyGate & # 8217 ; s Black and White list ( BlackLst.bwl and WhiteLst.bwl ) or Apprule.cfg constellation file, you should first backup these files into another directory before uninstalling. If you do non make this, your scenes will be eliminated when you uninstall the SyGate package. If you backup your constellation files into another directory and want to reconstruct your old scenes after put ining the new version or construct, halt the SyGate service utilizing the SyGate Manager plan, so exit the SyGate Manager plan wholly. Then copy the constellation files specified above back into the SyGate directory, overwriting the bing files. Your old constellation scenes will so be restored the following clip SyGate is started.
INSTALLATION AND USE
It is recommended that you close any other services or applications that may be utilizing your web or modem drivers prior to put ining SyGate.
For Windows 95 Users:
It is recommended that you have the Windows 95 version 4.00.950 B or subsequently and Microsoft DUN 1.2 or higher package installed. If you have a version of Windows 95 old to 4.00.950 B, you should download the Windows 95 Service Pack 1 and Windows Socket Update ( Kernel 32 ) from Microsoft & # 8217 ; s Web site at hypertext transfer protocol: //www.microsoft.com/windows95. You can look into the version of Windows 95 you are utilizing from the general check of the system control panel.
For Windows 98 SE Users:
SyGate will presently non work with Windows 98 SE if Internet Connection Sharing ( ICS ) is installed. To look into if Internet Connection sharing is installed, travel to the Windows check of the add/remove plans control panel and expression in inside informations for the networking points. If Internet connexion sharing is enabled, deselect this option and re-start the computing machine prior to put ining SyGate.
For Windows NT 4.0 Users:
SyGate 3.11 will presently non work with Windows NT RRAS ( routing and distant entree services update ) . The criterion RAS services installed with Windows NT works good with all versions of SyGate. To look into if RRAS is installed, travel to the routing check of TCP/IP belongingss in the web control panel to see if enable IP forwarding is grayed out. If it is, we recommend taking RRAS or reinstalling Windows NT 4.0. For SyGate Server to work decently on Windows NT 4.0, make certain that & # 8220 ; IP send oning & # 8221 ; is non enabled in the routing check of TCP/IP belongingss in the web control panel. In add-on, verify that & # 8220 ; enable DNS for WINS declaration & # 8221 ; is non enabled in the WINS Address check of TCP/IP belongingss in the web control panel. We recommend that instantly before and after put ining SyGate on a Windows NT 4.0 system, that you reapply the Windows NT service battalion you are utilizing.
For DirecPC Users:
If the networked client computing machines were antecedently modified utilizing a 3rd party dial-up web scenes optimizer & # 8221 ; , we recommend that you use that same public-service corporation to alter the scene for MTU to 1466 on each system. We have found that incompatibilities between this MTU scene and MTU alterations on the client computing machines can do the Internet connexion to be significantly slower than the SyGate waiter computing machine. Make certain that the computing machine with the DirecPC connexion ( the SyGate waiter ) is configured for automatically linking to the Internet so that the client computing machines can originate a connexion when cipher is utilizing the SyGate waiter computing machine.
Dial-up Networking Users:
Make sure that the computing machine with the Internet connexion ( the SyGate waiter ) is configured for automatically linking to the Internet so that the client computing machines can originate a connexion when cipher is utilizing the SyGate waiter computing machine. Besides, insure that the dial-up networking choice used in the SyGate Managers constellation screen has precisely the same user name and watchword as the dial-up networking profile. Otherwise, your client computing machines may non be able to ever link or the connexion will be often refused by the service supplier.
If installing SyGate Manager Client package:
It is of import that the version and physique of the SyGate package be the same as what s running on the SyGate waiter computing machine. To see all of the computing machines on your web within the SyGate Manager application, you must hold SyGate Manager running on each computing machine. If you notice there is hub or web connexion activity after get downing the SyGate Manager package, this is SyGate Manager pass oning to convey and have position from other SyGate Manager plans on your local web.
– If your networked computing machines are unable to shop the Internet, verify that they are able to pass on with the SyGate waiter computing machine utilizing & # 8220 ; ping & # 8221 ; . Travel to a bid prompt ( start/run/command ) on the system holding problem and type & # 8220 ; ping x.x.x.x & # 8221 ; , where x.x.x.x is the IP reference of the SyGate waiter computing machine. If you are unable to acquire a answer, there may be a job with your web drivers, web arranger, or your overseas telegrams. We recommend rectifying this issue harmonizing to any certification or public-service corporation package which may hold come with the web arranger and so seeking SyGate once more. If you do acquire a answer, the client computing machine is pass oning with the waiter computing machine utilizing TCP/IP.
– If the networked computing machines are able to ping the SyGate waiter computing machine, look into the TCP/IP scenes on the networked computing machines to verify that they are configured to obtain their TCP/IP scenes automatically or that they are utilizing the IP reference of the SyGate waiter computing machine in the TCP/IP scenes for both Gateway and DNS.
– If the TCP/IP scenes are all right and the networked computing machines can ping the SyGate waiter computing machine, look into the scenes for your Internet browser application to do certain it is non set to utilize a & # 8220 ; proxy & # 8221 ; . For Internet Explorer, you can look into this in the Internet options control panel. For Netscape Navigator, you can look into this in the proxy scene in the penchants screen. Besides, do certain that the Internet options control panel is configured to link to the Internet through your local web and non through a dial-up modem.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
– I already have a TCP/IP web, how do I configure it to utilize SyGate?
Install SyGate on the computing machine with the Internet connexion, so come in the IP reference of the SyGate waiter computing machine into the Gateway and DNS entries within the TCP/IP scenes on each computing machine.
– Why am I unable to pass on with my overseas telegram modem service supplier s electronic mail, intelligence, and Web waiters from my networked computing machines?
Some overseas telegram modem services require domain suffix information on each computing machine to make their electronic mail, intelligence, and Web waiters. You can obtain your sphere postfix by traveling to the following Web site from your web: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.sygate.com/cgi-bin/gethost.cgi. Once you know what the sphere suffix information is, travel to the DNS check of the TCP/IP scenes on each computing machine and enter this information in
to the subdivision “domain postfix hunt order” .
– How can I configure SyGate to utilize a backup DNS waiter in instance the service supplier s primary DNS waiter fails?
If the first DNS waiter listed in the TCP/IP belongingss on the SyGate waiter computing machine fails, your networked computing machines may non be able to pass on on the Internet. This can be corrected by utilizing SyGate & # 8217 ; s built in DHCP waiter and stipulating primary and backup DNS waiters in the advanced scenes ( available in the SyGate director plan s constellation screen ) . This can besides be corrected by manually stipulating primary and backup DNS entries in the TCP/IP scenes on each computing machine.
– How do I setup my web so that all the computing machines in my web are listed in the SyGate director application?
The SyGate director plan looks for and communicates with other SyGate director plans on your web. If you install SyGate client package and get down the SyGate director plan, SyGate director will
show all other systems besides running the SyGate director plan in the SyGate web vicinity.
– How do I setup SyGate so that I can run a Web waiter or FTP server from a computing machine on my web?
The computing machine you want to utilize as a Web waiter or FTP server must hold a alone IP reference and should non be configured to obtain it & # 8217 ; s TCP/IP scenes automatically. Edit the apprule.cfg file ( located in the SyGate directory ) utilizing a text editor and expression for the predefined subdivisions & # 8220 ; my Web waiter & # 8221 ; or & # 8220 ; my FTP waiter & # 8221 ; . Modify the entries so
that the right IP reference is specified and enable the lines ( by taking the # characters ) . After modifying the entry you want to utilize, salvage and shut the file, so utilize the SyGate director plan to halt and get down the SyGate service. Other users should so be able to make your waiter utilizing your SyGate waiters public IP reference.
– How do I configure Windows 2000 to work as the SyGate waiter or as a SyGate client computing machine on my web?
SyGate 3.11 waiter plants fine with Windows 2000 default constellation. To configure Windows 2000 for Internet through a different computing machine configured as the SyGate waiter, set the preferable and alternate DNS entries in the TCP/IP belongingss to be the service supplier s recommended DNS scenes and put the Gateway entry to be the SyGate waiter computing machines local web IP reference.
– How do I configure my Macintosh for an Internet connexion through the SyGate waiter computing machine on my web?
To configure your Macintosh to work on your web behind SyGate, you can configure the Macintosh TCP/IP control panel to configure & # 8220 ; utilizing DHCP waiter & # 8221 ; if you & # 8217 ; re utilizing SyGate & # 8217 ; s built in DHCP waiter. If you configure & # 8220 ; manually & # 8221 ; , set the router and name server address entries to be the SyGate waiter computing machine s local web IP reference and give the Macintosh its ain alone IP reference for your web.
– What type of practical private networking ( VPN ) works with SyGate and how do I configure it?
SyGate 3.1 plants with Microsoft VPN ( PPTP ) , ShivaVPN, BayVPN, Tunnel protocol ( once AltaVista Tunnel ) . SyGate presently supports one VPN connexion from the SyGate web to a VPN host on the Internet. You can non host a VPN connexion behind the SyGate waiter, nevertheless if the SyGate waiter computing machine is running on Windows NT, you can utilize it as a Microsoft VPN ( PPTP ) host so that you can link to your SyGate web through VPN clients on the Internet.
– How can I command the type of Internet connexions that my networked computing machines can entree?
You can configure SyGate to merely let or to deny certain connexions from your web through SyGate & # 8217 ; s black and white list characteristic. You can pull off the connexions you want to let by port figure and IP reference. You can besides stipulate clip periods for each limitation you define. You can put limitations for single computing machines ( by their IP reference ) or for the full web ( by come ining 0.0.0.0 as the IP reference ) .
– What sort of security does SyGate offer and how does it protect me from hackers on the Internet?
SyGate offers an enhanced security manner which blocks incoming TCP/IP connexions to the SyGate waiter computing machine outside of ports 1000 to 5000 ( the scope used for TCP/IP connexions traveling out ) . This allows the SyGate waiter computing machine to still work on the Internet and will barricade other ports common to hackers and Trojan Equus caballus onslaughts. SyGate besides will let connexions into your local web merely if they are first established from the local web, barricading all other connexions. Sybergen Networks besides offers extra web security with its SyShield merchandise, leting you to farther define port security and set security agendas. For more information, travel to the Sybergen Networks Web site at: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.sybergen.com.
CHANGES FOR SYGATE 3.11 VERSION
11/30/1999 & # 8211 ; Build 556 ( current release )
– Includes new SyGate device drivers.
– Change SyGate sensing algorithm for DNS.
11/19/1999 & # 8211 ; Build 555
– Added AOL 5.0 Compatibility.
– Fixed memory leak related issues reported on specific constellations.
– Improved DNS handling.
10/29/1999 & # 8211 ; Build 539
– Fix enrollment proof job.
– Blizzard StarCraft multi-client support added.
09/24/1999 & # 8211 ; Build 538
– Fix licensing and enrollment job.
– Fix DHCP waiter delegating extra IP to clients.
– New constellation option to enable/disable socks5 support.
– Disallow outside IP to set up Socks5 connexion if Socks5 is enabled.
– New bill of fare option & # 8220 ; Exit Manager & # 8221 ; on SyGate director bill of fare.
– Replace SyGate30.pdf file with SyGate31.doc ( updated certification ) .
09/16/1999 & # 8211 ; Build 535
– Modified test key algorithm.
09/16/1999 & # 8211 ; Build 534
– Added 30 twenty-four hours test period and new enrollment codifications.
– Implemented Different tray icons for engine off, online, offline.
– Added support for Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6.
KNOWN ISSUES WITH THIS RELEASE
– This physique of SyGate does non supply DNS send oning for Windows 2000 or Linux networked computing machines. This is a planned characteristic for a future version of SyGate. See often asked inquiries ( above ) for recommended solution.
– There is presently no option to disenable the Auto hang-up characteristic for dialup/AOL scenes. If you wish for SyGate non to automatically unplug your dialup or AOL connexion, puting this option to Auto hang-up after & # 8220 ; 999999 & # 8243 ; seconds ( equivelent to about 11.5 yearss of uninterrupted usage ) .
– If primary DNS fails from the service supplier, networked clients may lose their Internet connexion. See often asked inquiries ( above ) for recommended solution.
– NetMeeting users can non have calls from the Internet connexions public IP reference. This is a known job for most gateway services like SyGate because NetMeeting dynamically allocates ports when set uping a call into your web. To work around this issue, we recommend utilizing a NetMeeting directory waiter from the NetMeeting client.
– pcAnywhere and Laplink package are limited to one host running behind the SyGate waiter computing machine. This is an issue because most versions of pcAnywhere and Laplink use a designated port for communicating. You can utilize SyGate & # 8217 ; s apprule to airt that port to a networked computing machine, but merely one may be specified. With pcAnywhere9.0, you can put it up as a pcAnywhere gateway on the SyGate waiter computing machine so that multiple pcAnywhere hosts can be behind SyGate.
– Several one-way overseas telegram modems do non work with SyGate. This is normally the instance if the overseas telegram modem and dial-up modem are separate devices and both used at the same time for the Internet connexion. If the overseas telegram modem has a built in dial-up modem, like the Motorola Surfboard 1200, it should work all right with SyGate.
– Standard atmosphere is presently non supported as an arranger type in SyGate. We are looking at this and hope to offer support for ATM arrangers in a future version.
HOW TO REGISTER
You can register this package online at hypertext transfer protocol: //www.sybergen.net. Upon registering this package, our Web site will automatically bring forth a consecutive figure and enrollment key for your continued use. After having this information, you can come in it into the enrollment screen ( available in the aid bill of fare from the SyGate director plan ) .
License ascents are besides available for current users of SyGate. For enrollment of a licence ascent, merely reenter the new consecutive figure and enrollment cardinal send to you from our Web site.
HOW TO CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Technical Support for this merchandise is available for this merchandise from the undermentioned sellers:
– If you are measuring this package or purchased this package online, you should reach Sybergen Networks for support at support @ sygate.com or travel to the Sybergen Networks support page at: hypertext transfer protocol: //www.sybergen.com/support/default.htm.
– If you purchased your original SyGate package in a retail bundle distributed by Acer Neweb package, a support petition signifier is available from the Acer Neweb support page at hypertext transfer protocol: //www.acerneweb.com.
If you received your original SyGate package with a hardware merchandise from SOHOWare ( NDC ) , ActionTec, Zoom, or Asante, contact information for the support of this package is included with the certification for your merchandise.