Symbols Used in ”Noli Me Tangere” by Jose Rizal Essay Sample
The characters of the novel were drawn by Rizal from individuals who really existed during his clip. * Juan Crisostomo Ibarra – the supporter Represented the flush and broad European educated Filipino ( Ilustrado ) and desired the instruction of the people * Elias – represented the Filipino multitudes wanted to emancipate the people from the unfairnesss suffered from the Spaniards and represented Rizal himself * Maria Clara – The object of Ibarra’s love and fondness. * Trained in a convent and immersed in instruction that is spiritual in orientation. * Salome – Elias’ girlfriend
* Same with Maria Clara epitomizes muliebrity in their fidelity. shyness and modestness and represents Leonor Rivera * Padre Damaso – the chief adversary in the novel.
* A typical domineering mendicant during Rizal’s clip.
* Arrogant. immoral and anti-Filipino
* Often mistaken as a Dominican priest.
* Pilosopo Tasyo – perceived to be a sage by the educated and a moonstruck or
Wyrd by those who did non cognize him. * Represents Paciano. Rizal’s older brother
* Capitan Tiago – Don Anastacio de los Santos
* Husband of Pia Alba
* His wealth came from illegal opium trade
* Example of a subservient Filipino to the Spanish governments for protection and security * Capitan Juan Sunico of San Nicolas
* Sisa – the female parent of Basilio and Crispin
* Symbolizes Filipinos deficiency of concern in facing and deciding jobs facing Filipino society. * But illustrates the typical Filipino female parent. Ready to support their kids from all signifiers of unfairness and accusals. * Basilio and Crispin – represents the Crisostomo brothers in Bulacan * Padre Salvi – represents an immoral and coward mendicant
* Was believed to be Father Antonio Piernavieja. the despised Augustinian mendicant who was killed b the nationalists during the revolution. * Dona Victorina – married woman of Don Tiburcio de Espadana.
* A societal climber. An Indio who wanted to be treated as a Spaniard for her hubby was a citizen of Spain. * Dona Agustina Medel
* Dona Consolacion – kept woman of the Alferez
* Symbolized the outlook of the Guardia Civil: Vulgar. cruel and quarrelsome The novel calls for the Filipino to:
* Regain his ego assurance
* Appreciate his dignity
* Return to the heritage of his ascendants
* Assert himself
* To be to the Spaniards
* Insists in the demand for instruction
* Dedication to the state
* Absorbing the facets of Western civilization that could heighten native traditions